Sunday, May 03, 2015

The Week in Entertainment

Live: Un Ballo en Maschera, the last opera of my season. Dmitry Hvorostovsky and Sonja
Radvanovsky, with Ricardo Tamura standing in for the ill Piotr BeczaƂa as the king. An excellent cast in a very iffy production (stark and at the same time over the top - yes, yes, the king is Icarus, we get it. We don't need to see the painting in every scene).

TV: Caught up on Grimm, of which there were quite a few stacked up on the DVR and which is building to a heckuva climax, that's for sure. (If they kill off Sean Renard I shall be pissed off.) (Also, note to production staff: If you end an episode with Nick being forced to shoot Monroe, saying desperately "I can't stop it!", and then go to black and the sound of a gunshot... don't show Monroe hale and healthy in the promos for next week.)

Read: The Forgotten by Bishop O'Connell, a sequel to The Stolen, in his American Faerie series. I like it much better than the first one, which was enjoyable enough. Mitigating Jeopardy, a collection of short stories first published in the 1950s, which was not to my taste though YYMDV; just a kind of humor I don't care for. Also began Traitor to His Class, H.W. Brand's new biography of FDR.

Labels:

2 Comments:

At 10:43 PM, May 04, 2015 Anonymous Kathie had this to say...

When you said you'd read a book called "Mitigating Jeopardy," you can guess my initial assumption -- until I saw the date the stories were written. Oh well... ;-)

 
At 6:19 AM, May 05, 2015 Blogger The Ridger, FCD had this to say...

Ha ha that didn't even occur to me!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

     <-- Older Post                     ^ Home                    Newer Post -->