Sunday, October 19, 2014

The Week in Entertainment

Live: A fabulous and very funny Le Nozze di Figaro at the Met with Ildar Abdrazakov absolutely owning the title role and a good rest of the ensemble. The staging was excellent, too.

DVD: About half of season 7 of The Murdoch Mysteries. Being Canadian, it's 18 episodes, not just 3!

TV: Modern Family. Poor Mitchell and his sweater! Doctor Who, back to his attempting to define "good". This episode had some great moments - the Doctor "Thing"-ing his way off the tracks, and the big "this plane is under my protection!" speech, yes! Also, his calling the device he built the 2Dis was hilarious. The Doctor doesn't get many "just this once, everybody lives!" moments (sort of implied in the just this once part of it, if you think about it), and this wasn't one. But you don't often hear him say out loud that sometimes the wrong people do.

Read: We have got to Freedom Summer and I know it's going to be grim, so I took a break. Read a light mystery called Murder at Steeple Martin which was good enough to try the next one; Navajo Autumn, which was an okay mystery with a kind of odd, very unstylish writing style, I might try the next but I'm not sure; Cary Elwes' book about making "The Princess Bride", As You Wish, which was very enjoyable. The first three in the "Twenty-Sided Sorceress" series, and I can hardly wait till the fourth one comes out. I really enjoyed the world Annie Bellet has built here.

Labels:

4 Comments:

At 12:28 AM, October 20, 2014 Anonymous Kathie had this to say...

What, no "Inspector Lewis"?

 
At 5:31 AM, October 20, 2014 Blogger The Ridger, FCD had this to say...

Not when I have to get up early and go to work on Monday. It's safely on the DVR.

 
At 3:30 PM, October 20, 2014 Anonymous Kathie had this to say...

I meant the Oct. 12 episode, which I assumed was already on your DVR.

BTW, our PBS affiliate was running a promo last night for a P.D. James work on "Masterpiece" next Sunday, so I assume there were only three Robbie episodes in Season 7 (unless there are more but they've been split up, for some reason).

 
At 3:44 PM, October 20, 2014 Blogger The Ridger, FCD had this to say...

Yes, there are only three - which is better than none, of course! I watched the Oct 12 one last week, since Monday was a holiday. I mentioned it - that whole "savior child" bit is always iffy to me, though at least bone marrow isn't like a major organ!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

     <-- Older Post                     ^ Home                    Newer Post -->