Thursday, October 23, 2014

Choosing

A commenter at Whatever says, in answer to Scalzi's post telling #Gamergate followers how to really boycott him:
I don’t assume that every non-theist I meet endorses everything Richard Dawkins says. I don’t assume every Muslim I meet supports ISIS. I don’t assume every American I meet endorses drone strikes. And I don’t assume that everyone using the “gamergate” hash tag endorses threats of violence.
But there's a flaw here.

Not every atheist labels their speech with #IHeartDawkins (or whatever). Not every Muslim labels theirs #ISISRulz. Not every American labels theirs #Drones4Ever.

But every person "using the "gamergate" hash tag" chooses to label themselves that way.

So it's not at all unreasonable to assume - especially this deep into it - that they do in fact endorse the #Gamergate ethos.

If they don't, they're free to choose another hashtag.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

     <-- Older Post                     ^ Home                    Newer Post -->