Thursday, August 14, 2014

Three Deaths

I'm sad about Lauren Bacall. She was beautiful, and talented, and I saw many of her films, but she lived a long time and went peacefully.

I'm gutted about Robin Williams. He was funny and talented, and I saw so many of his films, but he was also tormented, and he died that way. Because his film career came along with my life (he was only 2.5 years older than me), I felt like I knew him (I didn't, of course, but that's one thing movies do to/for you), and I'm not surprised that so many people, especially those who did actually know him, are moved to talk about him. His death hurts, because he hurt.

I'm enraged about Michael Brown. (And the rest, and that there is a "rest".) I never heard of him before. But his death is an outrage that should not stand. And yet probably will. Although I hope not. I hope this time will be the one that fires national outrage... So there won't be any more.

Sadness. Wrenching sadness. Outrage.

Some of those are easier to talk about than others. (But they're all real.)

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

     <-- Older Post                     ^ Home                    Newer Post -->